Friday 15 March 2013

Lin Dan wants to be China’s Peter Gade Christensen

QINGDAO: Lin Dan wants to be China’s Peter Gade Christensen.

The Olympic and three-time world champion hopes to emulate the Dane to continue playing even at the age of 34.

“My next goal is to become China’s Peter Gade because I really hope to play until I am 35-years-old. I hope that more young players from China can learn from Peter and stay active for a long time in the sport,” Lin Dan said after his win over the Dane in the final tie of the Sudirman Cup here last Sunday.

The 27-year-old shuttler had said that he was learning to enjoy playing badminton after his success in 2008 Beijing Olympics and was looking forward to defending the title in the London Games next year.

When he was told that Lin Dan was inspired to follow his path, Gade Christensen laughed and offered some advice.

“I am proud that I can still be at the top today,” he said.

“Lin Dan and (Lee) Chong Wei are really tough players to compete against and I have to do my utmost best in my everyday’s practice. I hope that Lin Dan will still be around for a few years more.”

The Dane added that he respected Lin Dan very much as the Chinese shuttler was a complete player and perhaps the best player who ever played the game.

“He has the kind of character that I like. He is not truly confident.

“You can see he’s got the mental feeling, which is good for him. But sometimes it makes him a bit vulnerable and I like that about him,” he said.

During the Sudirman Cup, Gade Christensen revealed that this would be his final series after having represented Denmark for more than 15 years.

Chong Wei and Lin Dan also hinted that they may not feature in the next edition in 2013.


Source from:  Chinese Badminton Association (news on 5th JUNE 2011)